Camping can be a great way to spend time with family and friends. Cooking food over the fire is one of the best ways to have fun at camp. The secret to delicious camping cooking is planning ahead, bringing all your spices, and prepping vegetables before you head out. Here are some tips for easy camping cooking!
1) Plan Ahead: Pick out an awesome menu that everyone will love before you go on your trip so you know exactly what ingredients you need, which cuts up easier for grilling or roasting, etc. Think about how much prep work needs to be done-cut up veggies beforehand if they are too hard or bulky otherwise. Make sure not to forget any necessary spices either! This may seem like common sense, but it’s easy to get sidetracked when enjoying nature.
Planning a trip, see what other camping gear you should bring along here.
2) Bring All Your Spices: No matter what you are cooking, spices always make everything taste better. Make sure to pack all your favorites-including salt and pepper-in a small container or spice bag. This will help keep your food flavorful without taking up too much room in your pack.
3) Bring Aluminum Foil: Aluminum foil is really helpful for cooking food over the fire, especially smaller pieces of meat or veggies that are hard to turn on a grill. This will also help keep your food clean while you’re cooking! Simply wrap some aluminum foil around some veggies or meats and place them on the grill or in the fire. This is a great tip for cooking smaller items of food.
4) Pre-prepare Veggies: Some veggies, like potatoes and carrots, can be bulky if you were to cut them up on your trip before cooking. Instead, pack some single serving bags of pre-cut potatoes and carrots! You can also pre-soak some dry beans overnight before you leave for your trip, which will make them cook much faster over the fire.
5) Have Fun: The most important thing when cooking food over a campfire is to have fun! Experiment with different recipes, cook with friends and family, and enjoy the great outdoors. Bon appétit!
Cooking food over a campfire is one of the most fun and memorable parts of camping. The secret to delicious cooking with limited supplies is planning ahead, bringing all your spices, and prepping vegetables before you head out on your trip. Finally, do not forget your Dutch Oven but I assume packing it is a given for us.
Need some recipe ideas for your next camping adventure, checkout two of our favorite fall classic dishes.