Today I am sharing two of my favorite fall Dutch Oven recipes. The first can mostly be made camp side and the second I prepare at home and use my Dutch oven to warm-up once at the campground.
Both recipes are copycat of two of my favorite Bennigan’s dishes.
Bennigan’s is a famous Irish-American Grill & Tavern that serves delicious food and provides a pleasant, laid-back atmosphere. The cuisine features healthy salads, a wide range of burgers, steak and chicken dishes, sandwiches, and sweets. You can eat wonderful, inventive food at any of their restaurants in the United States, Cyprus, El Salvador, Greece, Guatemala, Honduras, Kuwait, Lebanon, Mexico and Pakistan.
In this article you will find two of Bennigan’s restaurant recipes: its delicious Onion Soup and the irresistible Hot Bacon Dressing.
– 4 tablespoons butter or margarine, plus more for the bread
– 1 large Spanish onion, diced (2 cups)
– 2 garlic cloves, minced
– 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
– 6 cups chicken broth
– 2 cups dry white wine
– 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
– 1 teaspoon sugar
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
– 8 slices French or Italian bread, toasted
– 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese (8 ounces)
– 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
2. Heat 4 tablespoons butter or margarine in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour until well blended. Gradually whisk in broth and wine, then stir in Worcestershire sauce, sugar, salt and pepper.
3. Bring soup to a simmer; cook until thickened, about 10 minutes. Preheat dutch oven.
4. Divide soup among 8 oven-safe bowls. Float 2 slices toasted bread on top of each bowl of soup. Sprinkle with cheese and parsley leaves. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 3 minutes.
Ingredients per serving: Calories 627, Fat 36g, Saturated Fat 15g, Cholesterol 89mg, Sodium 1057mg, Carbohydrate 43g , Fiber 3g, Sugar 4g , Protein 33g.
Net Carbs = 35 grams
Garnishes/Extras: parsley spaghetti squash , croutons
Hot Bacon Dressing
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 cup diced celery
1/4 cup diced red pepper
6 bacon slices, diced
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons maple syrup
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup vegetable oil
1. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 8 minutes. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate; let cool. Add onion, celery, and red pepper to drippings in skillet; cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. Whisk onion mixture, bacon, vinegar, syrup, mustard, garlic powder, paprika, and black pepper in a large bowl. While whisking vigorously, slowly add oil in a steady stream until combined well. Reheat during camp via your Dutch oven.
3. Serve over your favorite salad or vegetables.
Ingredients per serving: Calories 602, Fat 54g, Saturated Fat 8g, Cholesterol 18mg, Sodium 571mg, Carbohydrate 17g , Fiber 1g, Sugar 13g , Protein 7g
Net Carbs = 16 grams
Garnishes/Extras: Fried egg , bacon bits, Parmesan cheese crumbles
The dishes are easy to make, filling, and tasty. And they can be used as a side dish or main meal. I hope you enjoy these two Dutch oven recipes and they help make your fall special!